Thursday, August 6, 2009

First Day

Today was the first official day of classes. It went well, and I am trying to be very thorough with my notes so they will be a good reference for later when I'm studying for the COMLEX and USMLE. Every now and then I'll hear someone say COMPLEX instead of COMLEX and it kinda grates on my nerves...I can tell when professors hear someone say it that they are annoyed, thinking "If you knew what the acronym stood for you'd say it right." For those who are curious, it is "Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing EXam" - I don't see a "P" between Medical and Licensing. At any rate, we started out with an introduction to the study of anatomy. It was interesting because Dr. Hartwig is a fan of Latin, so he was giving us all the Latin roots of words and making cracks about how PhDs are teachers, not doers. I only wish I had taken some caffeine this morning - there was a slump of extreme sleepiness I had to fight through around 10:00am - 11:00am. The two morning classes were both part of the Fundamentals of Osteopathic Medicine course (FOOM).

After those classes, we went to lunch and I got my library card, changed my computer access code from the default, and checked in with SHS again to see if the doctor had sent in the forms yet. Negatory. After lunch we started in on Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) and got to start familiarizing ourselves with our classmates' backs. We're doing a back dissection tomorrow - interesting stuff. After that, we went to Osteopathic Doctoring class (OD) where we discussed ethical situations in which professionalism is the heart of the issue. We also discussed the different methods of doctoring.

I finally got some caffeine and a day planner - that'll come in useful. Now I need to get some reading done, plan out lunch for tomorrow, organize notes, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment