Saturday, September 3, 2011

Preview of Next Preceptor

On Friday the doctor I am normally with was off sick, I didn't have any notice, so the medical assistants were kind enough to help me arrange to shadow someone else that day.  I ended up being with the doctor who will be my preceptor after next week.  He's a really nice older guy, almost 60 years old, and he has a nice teaching approach.  It was a nice day in that most of the stuff I saw that day I was able to figure out easily enough - one person had crackles in the lung, which I rarely hear these days; another had a bruise that had drained to his foot like I had had in my karate days; and there was one interesting case where a woman came in with large half-golf ball sized swelling in her throat, but they were not hot and soft, they were indurated and firm, which is rather unusual.  Neither of us really knew what it could be, we considered abscesses or salivary gland obstruction, but she was sent to visit HEENT and get a CT scan.  

I also had a chance to discuss my presentation with him, and he helped me narrow it down and focus it a bit more.  Overall the pace of the day was pretty nice, and I had a lot of time to talk to patients.  

No comments:

Post a Comment