Sunday, October 16, 2011

California Association of Family Practitioners conference

Well, this weekend I have been in LA with a friend and attending the CAFP conference.  There has been a lot of discussion about how Family Physicians get a bad rap, and how they need to improve their image and reputation for the public, patients, other physicians, etc.  They went over the things to do when applying to residencies, went over the timeline for things.  The next most beneficial thing was talking to the residency program directors - the things they emphasized the most were...
  • Doing a sub-internship (Sub-I) at their facility
  • Choosing rotations that offer good inpatient training
  • Interviewing well and going with your gut
It was nice to know that they don't emphasize board scores very much, and that your rotations make a bigger impact.  I asked around about what programs that are local that they think give good rotations, and so I will be getting in contact with those people and preparing my rotation applications - the good ones fill up fast.  I don't want to be stuck with outpatient.  Only problem is I may be stuck with really long commutes if we move to Davis in February (e.g. if I want to do Peds at Oakland Children's Hospital).  Driving back up to Northern California in a bit - I have my family medicine lectures on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment