Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Almost done with Block 2!

Just finished as much studying for Doctoring as I think will make any difference at this point. After the FOOM test on Friday, I was burnt out on studying until Sunday - so I was not very productive until then. Monday morning I practiced OMM techniques with a bunch of different classmates for about 4 hours before the practical exam, and I know for sure I aced two of the three portions. I only know because those two professors gave me feedback, and the third kept a nice poker-face the whole time - but I think I did satisfactorily at that station too. Then this morning we had our OMM written exam, where they describe positions, techniques, and segmental findings and we have to know the type of technique, what the diagnosis is, etc. We also have some "softer" portions, like history of osteopathy, particularly in California. I think they overdid it a tad on that, since our professor didn't finish the lecture on California, but should be good either way.

The Doctoring exam coming up in half an hour is going to test on portions of the screening exams - so far we have covered general, HEENT (head, eyes, ears, nose throat), Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Abdominal, and Neuromuscular. Since we're osteopaths, we also throw in a TART screen at each step, but the way it's integrated it almost feels "tacked on." The test is also going to cover Medical Jurispridence, a lecture I missed where we got to hear about all the ways we can get sued, how getting sued works, and how to try to avoid it.

We recently saw a video about Convocation too - it's essentially a DO Seminar/Convention where everyone from experts to first years goes to see different techniques, hear what's new for Osteopathy, etc. It's a little pricey, but I requested a bit more loan money this year than I needed, and it's being held at Colorado Springs resort this year, so I might as well take advantage of that. It is held on a weekend in March, but we shall see if I can attend - I might be on a vacation. Anyway, enough distracting myself - I should get focused for doctoring and then fun and relaxation for a few hours before I realize I have to start prepping for Midblock 3 that is happening in 13 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment