Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pediatrics, Week 1

Well, I have started pediatrics.  It is generally not the most interesting rotation, but there is a lot of stuff to memorize and it requires more participation.  Also, since it is a regular schedule, where I have to leave at 8:15 and end up back here around 6pm, I am finding my energy levels waning quite noticeably.  I've decided I'm just going to have to bring an energy drink every day to drink between 8 and 12, and that'll keep me going decently well for the whole day.  Luckily they don't cost much more than a cup of coffee, so it won't break my bank.  

As far as pediatrics goes, the most common visits involve a kid with a bad cold - usually with "sinusitis" or a possible ear infection associated with it.  If it's more than 2 weeks or the kid has strong symptoms, we prescribe antibiotics.  Personally, I think we are prescribing antibiotics too much and if it were me then I would not prescribe them, but right now I'm the student and I don't want to rock the boat.  We also see a bunch of kids for their ADHD, or monitoring their doses.  I still don't quite know what to make of it yet, as I've never attended a group session where the kids are seen interacting with each other and I don't know from experience what "normal" child behavior is.  Then there are the endless well-child checks, at 2 months, 4 or 5 or 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, etc.  We check their developmental milestones, answer parental questions, prepare the parent for the next stage of development and what to expect.  We haven't had any crying kids yet, so I'm kind of surprised - they are all really compliant with the exam, especially with the ear exam.  They've also let me examine them without much problem, they're all pretty nice.  I'm sure we'll have some combative screamers eventually, but so far so good.  

In other news, I finally got my isotretinoin medications today - better known as Accutane, though I have the generic version.  The process is extremely involved, especially if you are a female.  First you consult with a qualified physician who is familiar with isotretinoin, the indications, etc. and you discuss whether it is the right option - you are supposed to have exhausted every other treatment first.  Next, you get this packet for "females who have the potential to become pregnant."  You are required to read through everything, sign and initial tons of papers, and register and answer questions online swearing that you will use two forms of birth control (primary method such as hormones, an implantable device, or injections, and a secondary barrier method like a condom).  You must then wait for 30 days, and get a blood test within 7 days of your next appointment.  At that appointment the doctor makes sure you've done everything you're supposed to and that your blood tests check out, and they give you the prescription.  Once you have that, you have to take your special ID card, after having filled out the questionnaire online and registered, and go to your pharmacy to fill the prescription - if they do not have the medication on hand, then you have to wait until the next day when they will have it.  So...today was that day, and I now have it.  Side effects (aside from pregnancy) include skin sensitivity, depression, stomach upset, liver problems, skin dryness.  

I have seen some uncommon things though, which is cool - like Henoch-Schonlein Purpura and Roseola.  Also saw a case of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, which is horribly tragic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment