Tuesday, July 26, 2011

General Surgery Rotation - Week 2

So far the week is going well. Monday we started out with some clinic cases, and then we headed to do a thoracic surgery - removal of the lower left lobe of the guy's lung. It was pretty interesting - had to break open the ribs, and then slowly remove the lung - it was pretty involved. Amazing that lungs, which seem so delicate when you read about them and such, can handle a person shoving them around with their hand. I got to feel the diaphragm, descending aorta, lung tissue, saw the heart beating in the guy's chest - feel pretty privileged to be able to partake in things of that sort. Few people can say they've had their hands inside a living person's rib cage.

Today went well also, had a few surgeries, this was the last day the PA student was there, so for the next few days it'll just be me and the surgeon until the next PA student arrives. I assisted in a neck lumpectomy and a breast lumpectomy - it's amazing how vascularized fat is. With the neck fat there were sprays coming out here and there - with the breast tissue I've come to expect that. Had to find the lymph node, and I did an essentially complete final suture - the surgeon actually said it looked good, so that felt really good - all I really want is to not look like a complete idiot. Anyhow, tomorrow is more clinic patients - maybe I will be done by 1:00 or 1:30pm - that would be nice, since today I was done at 4:30, and I want to get more of my studying done.

In other news, my boyfriend and I have our 5 year anniversary coming up - we'll be dining somewhere in San Francisco - should be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment