Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Nearly Through Another Week

Amazing how much less reading it feels like I have this week compared to last. I got some OMM treatment today for my lower back, but apparently there is something going on by my left scapula that one of the doctors think I should get checked out. Alas, there was not enough time today, but perhaps next week. We had our third back dissection the other day, where we sawed open the spinal column to view the spinal cord. We're beginning to finesse the dissection a little better, after doing a rather poor job on the back muscles. We're in the middle of biochemistry, so lucky for me it should all be review. Our first exams are the week after next, and next week has a lot of short days! All the better for studying!

I'm sure it's different at other medical schools, but here all of our courses have "objectives," certain topics we are expected to master. For example: Know what an allosteric enzyme is, understand how it functions in Hb. There are lists for each class and I am going to go through them all and answer them as fully as possible. Also, for the record, birth control pills really mess with your head. Long story short, I was forced to go back to an old prescription and it sunk me into depression for about a week. I wanted to wait until my new health insurance came in, since the cost for the pills under my Anthem Blue Cross coverage is 70% the retail price, as opposed to a single copay. I decided I couldn't take much more of it, so I got a month's worth and started, and every day I feel better. I really understand the meaning of the symptom "no longer enjoys things that used to bring joy" - particularly now that I can enjoy them again. Also, if anyone's curious, Microgestin FE 1.5/30 was bad for me, Yasmin/Ocella was good. Though I've heard mixed opinions about both.

Anyhoo, this weekend will be packed - Kit is coming up for the weekend, my sister is getting back from camp, the white coat ceremony is on Sunday morning, and I'm going to go see Ponyo in theaters. On another note - I'm 1/3 of the way through my Japanese audio lessons! Sleep time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment