Friday, August 7, 2009

Last of the "Day X" Entries

My entries will start having more of a topic format than a daily routine format, since accounts of daily activities can get rather dull, even if it is about medical school. Today we had history of osteopathic medicine, cultural competency, and interviewing, which explains certain strategies and considerations when interviewing a patient at a doctor's visit. After lunch, we all went to the anatomy lab and started on the back dissection. Our cadaver is a 96-year-old woman who died in a curled position from dementia. Unfortunately a lot of her muscles were deteriorated when she died, so muscles like the latissimus are very thin and fragile. It's a lot to memorize, and I'm going to devote most of my studying this weekend to learning all the names of the back muscles and review dissection techniques.

Next week we start on embryology, patient interviews, and basic life saving techniques. Hopefully I'll be meeting up with a friend of mine from high school who happens to be a second year here. It's exciting. I'm still waiting on the form from the doctor down south so that I can enroll in student health insurance, but I guess I'm not in much of a hurry. There was a party tonight but I guess I just don't feel like being social after a long week of meeting dozens of people. I think I've been doing a pretty decent job remembering everyone though. Also, Non-Sequitur had a cute comic today about patient noncompliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment