Monday, August 29, 2011

3rd Week of FM

It's starting to feel more routine each day - the nice thing is the patients are always different.  I don't know why people complain that family medicine is the same old thing - yeah, it's always talking to a patient about what's going on, but at least it's a different thing with each patient usually.  

We had a deaf couple come in, and naturally they couldn't speak, so we had to communicate by hand writing back and forth.  I've been trying OMM on some patients but usually they are so uncomfortable from whatever it is that is ailing them that I don't feel super comfortable treating them, since touching them or making them move puts them in a painful position.  I got to help drain a MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) ulcer today on some guy.  Perfect example of patients being horrible historians - when I saw the ulcer I specifically asked him "do you have any history of having cellulitis, or MRSA, or other skin infection?" "mm...nope."  "Are you immunocompromised, like taking chemotherapy or have HIV?" "nope."  So of course when I report back to the doctor he looks in the patient's chart and see's "Yeah, he's had two or three bouts of MRSA, each time was treated in a hospital for it."  You would think a patient would remember that sort of thing.  

In the meantime, the topic I chose for my presentation is acute myalgia, which is an incredibly broad topic, so it will be hard to narrow it down, and categorize things in a way that covers as much of it as possible.  I'm still doing translating here and there, and working on SOAP notes in the office.  This was a good weekend but I was up late last night and there was an accident on my way back from Napa so my usual 40 minute drive back turned into 2 hours.  Blah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment