Sunday, February 1, 2009

Introductions Are in Order


Hello World. I've been around for about 22 years now, and the big dream has become reality - starting in August, I will begin the 4-year path to being a physician. As of now, I have one acceptance, am waiting to hear from another school, and have yet to interview at a third. Regardless of the latter two, I will be attending a school this August. The prospect is so exciting, and the experience available to only a handful of people each year, I feel it is my duty and privilege to document the years ahead of me - not only to remember for my sake the journey, but for anyone else who is, or has ever been interested, in pursuing medicine.

Now, my path will be slightly different from traditional, as I will be attending an osteopathic (D.O.) medical school instead of an allopathic (M.D.) medical school, but the basics are the same: nearly $200,000 dollars in debt, two years of classes, and two years of clinical rotations. I like to think D.O.s are super-M.D.s, since they learn essentially the same material as M.D.s yet also can perform OMM (osteopathic manipulative medicine). At any rate, I will fill in my background as the posts continue. As far as the basics, I will graduate from UCSD in March 2009 as a double major in Biochemistry/Cell Biology (B.S.) and History (B.A.). From there, I will attend one of the following schools: Touro-NV, Touro-CA, or Western U. I hear my decision from Touro-CA on February 6, and interview at Western U on February 12.

As far as this blog goes, I shall try to include medically-relevant information in every post, and keep discussion of my personal life, beyond life as a medical student, to a minimum. For oodles on my personal life and ramblings, see my Livejournal .

No comments:

Post a Comment